Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our Day at the Zoo


I took the day off. I had been at a conference, of sorts, in Atlanta, and had missed out on some quality time with the little man.

We went to a "Tots at the Zoo" class together. Mockbamom decided to stay behind to get some quality alone time - much-deserved.


We arrived just in time. We went to the little classroom reserved for us. There were four children with four parents. My little boy was way more interested in the plastic dinosaurs and animals in the plastic bins at the back of the room than he was in anything our poor tour guide had to say. Nevertheless, I took the opportunity to try and train him to be polite.

Today's lesson was about frogs and toads - every boy's favorite. Mockbaboy adored all of them. He stared into the big aquarium filled with turtles, frogs, and toads, as if communicating with all of them. He was pretty excited. He got especially worked up when one of the turtles started swimming toward him.

We eventually all mad
e our way out into the larger zoo exhibits. Our focus on toads and frogs was soon lost - the kids (all boys, incidentally) were far too interested in the large cats, otters, and ferrets. Eventually, the class broke up and we were left to our own devices.

We made a good effort at seeing more of the zoo until Mockbaboy decided it was time to ride the carousel and the zoo train. The carousel was a blast. By the time we were on the train, he was about done with the whole thing. He was tired, a little hot, and the train whistle kept scaring him. It did give me an opportunity to let him lean on me, under my arm, as I stroked his curly hair. Life would be a void experience for me without such moments.

We slowly made our way to the concession stand for drinks, then out to the car. We'd had a great afternoon together. I've decided it isn't about what we do. It is simply about spending time together. I will cherish today in the special part of my heart reserved for exactly these sorts of moments. I will remember stroking his little innocent head on the train for the rest of my life. This is truly what my life is about. I can't wait for our next little outing.

No comments: